Our Surgeries About Us
Northvet – 33 Junction Road, Kirkwall, Orkney, KW15 1AG
In 1861 James Friskan was the first vet in Orkney, although he wasn’t qualified. The first qualified vet was Robert Thomson in 1891 .
There were various other veterinary surgeons over the years before Jimmy Walker became a partner in 1949. Albert Spence went into partnership with Jimmy Walker in 1966 and the business was renamed Walker & Spence.
Following the retirement of Jimmy and Albert, Walker and Spence became Northvet in 1989.
In 2006, along with most of Junction Road. Northvet was severely flooded. We spent 2 years in temporary premises before moving back into our brand new purpose built premises in July 2009.
Northvet – Lammaquoy, Harray, Orkney, KW17 2LQ
Our first surgery in Harray was at Nisthouse and was opened by Albert Spence in 1963, we moved to our current location, Lamaquoy, in 1979.
In 1989 we built this new building to house our calf hospital. After the foot and mouth outbreak in 2001 the calf hospital was closed due to biosecurity issues. Calves are now placed on drips on farm. In 2006 the building was renovated and the office and shop moved into one end.
We now have our horse stocks in the building where we can perform equine dentistry. endoscopy. x-ray’s etc.
Northvet – 1 Northend Road Stromness, KW16 3AG
Our first surgery in Stromness opened in the late 1970’s. It was located in the premises next door to our current surgery.
In 1984 we purchased our current plot from the stonemason who was there at the time and built our new building.