Northvet recommend neutering all animals which are not going to be used for breeding
Points to think about before breeding :
- Is your pet suitable? Some dogs need to be hip scored and eye tested.
- Is there a suitable mate available who has had all the relevant health tests?
- Do you have time for a pregnant animal and the subsequent litter?
- Are you prepared if things don’t go according to plan?
- Not all pregnancies and births are straightforward.
- Are you going to be able to find suitable homes for the whole litter, and would you be prepared to take a puppy or kitten back if things don’t work out in their new home.
If you do decide to breed we still recommend neutering afterwards.