Worm Egg Counts
At Northvet we have six Registered Animal Medicines Advisors (RAMAs) who have been trained in performing worm egg counts on dung samples. This means we can get most results to you within 24hrs of receiving the samples, saving time in awaiting results from an external laboratory. We can look for roundworms, tapeworms, fluke, lungworm and coccidia in samples from cattle and sheep.
We recommend performing these tests whenever you are considering worming for the following reasons:
- It saves you money if you don’t need to worm
- We can make sure you choose the correct product for the worms that are there
- Prevents the build up of wormer resistance by reducing unnecessary worming
- Check for the presence of certain diseases – eg fluke, lungworm
- Can be used to monitor the response to a worm treatment